9 Questions to Ask Yourself Before a Major Decision
Mar 28, 2019
This list is a guide for when you need to test your aspirations that require a major adjustment to your life and career. It’s a reality check for change. Grab a pen and get started.
- Am I happy? It’s a simple yes or no question. If the answer is “no” then follow with this, “How will I change my perspective and/or situation to create happiness?” Life is short. Don’t have an accidental career or life.
- What does my gut say? Your head is too intellectual. Your heart is too emotional. Trust your instinct.
- Does this change align with my values and those of the people it will affect? Write down your values? Write down the values of important people in your life. You might have to sell this change. Know the benefits to all parties. And know who it will hurt. Is it worth it?
- Am I making this change to run away from something? Change for the sake of change is a mistake. You’ll find yourself in a similar situation feeling the same way in a few months wanting to start over again. The fears you run from are running your life. Now is the time to turn around, face them, name them and invite them in with curiosity. This disarms their power. Are these fears based in truth or are they assumptions? Sustainable change requires alignment with values, humility to admit mistakes and a plan.
- How do I make sure this not a 10-foot level change but a 30,000-foot high innovation? Climb to the top story of your life. Look at the situation from a visionary perspective. The mezzanine view is short sighted. The world is a big place. Write down the specifics of your ideal situation on paper. Then you have a road map. Everything else is passive.
- What do I want to do more of? Less of? You know the negative feedback you’ve gotten in the past? Now is the time to cast pride aside and address what needs to occur or needs to stop occurring. Who will be your accountability partner for this change?
- What’s the financial plan and is it sustainable? It may look good now. How do you envision this change financially in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? Write it down. What needs to occur for sustainability. What’s the plan?
- What’s the worst that could happen? And what percentage chance does that have of occurring?
- What are the behaviors and routines I need to maintain my positivity through the transition? What are your mindful daily practices that will keep your mind clear, transform doubt, ground you, deliver positivity and keep your body healthy. How will you track them?
Do you want to advance in your career, have healthy relationships and executive presence yet it just isn't happening? Do you feel exhausted on the treadmill to nowhere? Watch my new FREE Training on Three Ways to Move to the Next Level In Your Career Right Now to 1) identify the right role for you, 2) position your transferable skills and 3) create a career portfolio that sells you before you even get an interview. If you don't know where you will be at the end of 2018, you are already there.
P.S. Feel free to send this link to someone who could benefit from it. We are all walking down the same road in life.
Mary Lee Gannon, ACC, CAE is an International Coach Federation certified executive coach and 18-year corporate CEO who helps busy executive leaders swap the treadmill to nowhere for a new career, promotion, higher pay, confidence, calm and better connection with the people who matter while it still matters. View testimonials from her career transformation mavens and FREE career tools at www.MaryLeeGannon.com
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.